We have our oldest daughter starting school this year. It is a first for all of us. She’s so excited. I might be slightly terrified thinking about it all. It’s going to be such a huge change for us. We are so used to having her home all day. But her excitement really overshadows any freak-out mom moments I have had. It’s been fun going through all the motions of back to school prep too. And one thing I am really looking forward to is sitting and talking with her after school about her first day. It’s bittersweet.
Here are 14 ways that we have been preparing for her start in Kindergarten this year. A big thanks to Carmex for sponsoring this post today.
- Get Organized with Binders – Get organized with your kid’s school work with labeled binders for each of your children. This is a good article about how to keep your kids work and papers organized.
- Stock up on Carmex – You might not think that Carmex Lip Balm is a must-have back to school item, but it’s already August and winter is approaching. Packing a Carmex Lip Balm in your kid’s backpack for those days their lips get dry or chapped will come in handy.
- Get a Growth Chart – Now that you have a little one in school you might want to start tracking their growth, if you haven’t started already. It’s so neat to watch month-by-month 0r year-by-year and see how much they’ve grown within that time. Ours is from The White Loft.
- Get a cute tee for their first day – We have our K is for Kindergarten tee ready for her first day. We got ours from The Blue Envelope.
- Get the kids backpacks and lunch boxes personalized – We chose to get our daughter’s backpack and school lunch box personalized with her initials. Not only are they adorable, but it also helps little ones locate them easier. Her personalized backpack and bento box + cooler bag are from Stuck on You.
- Practice the morning routine – My daughter does not like to get her hair combed at all! She is very happy going several days without me combing our even touching her hair. But now that we are a few weeks from the start of school we have been practicing our morning routine which consists of combing her hair and getting dressed. We’re getting a bit better with it day-by-day.
- Create or designate a homework work station – We have an art table that we are converting to a school work table and we’re adding this wall rail + buckets to hold all her pencils and colors.
- Gift for your student – Surprise your little student with a small gift before or after school. It doesn’t have to be anything big, it can be a new book, some new pencils or even balloons when you pick them up from school. Think of something small that will get them excited for their first week.
- Tracing Chalkboard – These tracing chalkboards are handmade and perfect for your little one to help them learn and write their letters and numbers. This one is from Chalk Full of Design.
- Take a tour + meet the teacher – Take the time to visit the school and meet the teacher. This can help with any anxiety your child might have about their first day at school. Most schools have designated days for these things before the school year starts.
- Make a list of school lunch ideas – Keep them simple but make them fun. Try these fun sandwich cutter shapes to cut sandwiches or even cheese and meats into fun shapes.
- Plan out some quick and easy after school snacks – Make it a special moment for you and your child by letting them pick a snack a day and then sit down together and talk about the day.
- Let your kids choose their own style – When it comes to back to school shopping. Give them lots of options and enjoy this time with your kids.
- Read more – Spend more time reading with your kids. Don’t save reading time just for the evening before bed when everyone is tired, make it an everyday activity too. We love to frequent our library and get new books each weekend. It might also be a good idea to get some beginner reader books. Our favorite books have been BOB Books. I have a few kinder teacher friends who highly recommended these.
Thank you to Carmex for sponsoring this back-to-school post! Carmex now makes a Colloidal Oatmeal Comfort Care™ Lip Balm that is perfect for kids. It’s made with a soothing blend of colloidal oatmeal and cold-pressed antioxidant-rich fruit seed oil.
What are some of your favorite ways to prepare for the first day of school?
Free Start a Blog Email Course
Get my FREE start a blog email course. Learn how you can start a money-making blog to stay home with the kids!