My oldest is going to Kindergarten this year. I can’t believe that I will have a kid going to school. Last year we did pre-school homeschool and although we loved it, I didn’t want to have to decide about school or homeschool for Kinder until this summer. I gave her the option. She’s my little social butterfly who loves to make new friends on the playground and do arts and crafts around the clock and read all day long and I asked her what she thought she wanted. Did she want another year being taught at home, or did she want to try regular school. She said she wanted to go to school. She wants to make new friends and take a lunchbox and carry a backpack. She wants to sit in the cafeteria to eat with the rest of her “friends”. So we went to visit her would-be school and she was so excited that I knew it was the right decision.
So here we are. My baby going to school for the first time. It’s an exciting time for me too. We get to do the whole back to school shopping. One thing I’ve been thinking about is after-school snacks. It might sound funny, but as a mom who is experiencing this all for the first time, I feel like this will be an important milestone for us. The first time she’s coming home from school, her sister, brother and I will be seeing her after a long day. I am looking forward to that time with my baby, sitting down with her and listening to her tell me what her day was like.
When I think after-school snacks, I want easy, sometimes self-serve and healthy. Here is a list of ideas that we have on our after-school snack idea wish list.
- Apple slices topped with sunflower butter – We don’t do peanut butter in our house because of allergies, but we love our sunflower butter!
- N.B.T.F. Nothing But The Fruit™ fruit bites – The side of the box says – NOT a Fruit Snack. These are made with 100% real fruit that’s picked, pureed and then pressed. There’s absolutely nothing that goes into these bite sized snacks that isn’t fruit. My kids love fruit snacks, but I don’t like the artificial coloring and flavors. These snacks are Non-GMO, Vegan & Gluten Free with no added sugars, artificial preservatives, artificial flavors, fillers or waxes. Yay!
- Cheese cubes + wheat crackers
- Raw vegetable plate with dipping sauce
- Chocolate morsels + Clementine slices – This might sound like a strange combo, but for some reason mixing chocolates with citrus is truly amazing!
- Popcorn + chocolate morsels
- Pinwheels – Our favorite is turkey slices + spinach + cream cheese rolled into a burrito style tortilla then sliced.
- String Cheese
- Sunflower butter sandwich – There’s nothing wrong with sunflower butter on wheat bread. Top with sliced bananas if you’re feeling adventurous this day.
- Smoothie – Fresh fruit + spinach + milk or soy milk
- Fruit kabob – Slice fresh fruit and put onto kabob sticks. My kids also love to add cubed cheese to theirs.
- Apple or Sweet Potato chips – Amazing
- DIY Kids Trail Mix – Mix all of your kid’s favorite things into one bowl and let them serve – Ideas for this include chocolate morsels, Nothing But The Fruit snack bites, pretzels, cheese crackers, dry cereal and popcorn.
- Fruit pizza – Top a pita flatbread with yogurt, fresh fruit + granola and you have a yummy no-bake fruit pizza!
- Rice cakes topped with sunbutter + fresh fruit
Thank you to N.B.T.F. Nothing But The Fruit™ for sponsoring this post!
N.B.T.F. is a new healthy snacking brand that has just launched their Real Fruit Bites at over 7,500+ Starbucks stores nationwide. NBTF is owned by the National Grape Cooperative – 905 American family farmers who grow sustainably farmed Concord and Niagara grapes. These grapes contain antioxidant plant nutrients called polyphenols – that’s why there’s grapes in all NBTF fruit bites – it’s polyphenol power! N.B.T.F. is available at Starbucks, Target, Meijer, Winn Dixie, BI-LO and online at amazon.com
What are some of your favorite after-school snacks for your kids?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Nothing But The Fruit. The opinions and text are all mine.
Free Mama Prints
Gain access to our FREE Library of Printables & Downloads! Everything from a decluttering guide, baby planning and meal planners.
You only have to enter your email once to get all of Story of Five's free printables and downloads!