I’m 38 weeks this week and now that the baby is about the size of a Watermelon – AHH! I think it’s about time to start packing the hospital bags. I’ve been so busy lately that, it’s just now setting in that I will have another tiny baby in my arms in the next week or so. My doctor said there’s a possibility she may come before her due date so time is of the essence.
My first go around, I had no idea what I needed to pack. I found myself scouring the baby forums trying to figure out what I really needed. So of course, to be safe, I packed practically everything. I would definitely say I over-packed last time as I did not even use half the stuff I took with me. Surprisingly the hospital I delivered at provided pretty much everything the baby needed. So I put together a list of hospital bag MUST HAVE’S for mom & baby to share with all the new moms out there.
So here is my list for the top 10 items you cannot forget to pack.
1. SOCKS with some grip – The hospital is a cold cold place, and although the hospital may provide you with some complimentary socks, they may not be the ones you need to keep your feet warm. I suggest some with grip because when walking on the cold hospital floor, the thin socks just won’t cut it.
2. Slippers – I love my house slippers. You want to make sure you feel comfortable, you will be there for a minimum of at least 2 day or longer. So take your favorite pair of house slippers.
3. Toiletries – Don’t forget your toothbrush, and if you’re like me where your skin may only like a specific type of soap or face wash, bring your own if you don’t want to settle and use the hospital brands. Make sure to also pack your hair ties, headbands, combs, brushes, deodorant and makeup if you plan on taking some pictures.
4. Change – Seems like the simplest thing, but if you’re like me, I use debit cards for everything. You will be needing some change after hours, when the cafeteria closes and you need a snack from the snack machine. Make sure to take a few dollars in change.
5. The Boppy – I could not have done without The Boppy my first hospital stay. I started breastfeeding right away so this came in handy with little one. It’s very comfortable for mom and baby.
6. Swaddlers – The hospital will provide blankets and a hat for baby, but the blankets won’t be anything like the quality swaddlers out there on the market. My choice, the aden + anais swaddle blankets. We will definitely be bringing a few of these with us.
7. Go home outfit for baby – Take a few outfits just in case baby is bigger or smaller than expected. When little one was delivered she was only 6lbs, but from our last ultrasound they thought she was going to be well over 7. She actually fit into a premie outfit, although she was full-term. So take a few of your favorite baby outfits. I recommend something comfortable. No fufu outfits. Keep in mind that baby will have just had the umbilical cord cut and will be sore. You will need a onsie of some sort, no pants or shorts because that will just irritate the area.
8. Phones & chargers – You probably won’t forget your phone, but what you may end of forgetting is the charger. Also, make sure you have all of your relatives and friends phone numbers stored for quick access when you want to make the birth announcement. I am bad at this. Last time not everyone got notified right away. I still have relatives phone numbers written down in different places that I never put into my phone.
9. Extra Pillows – Sure the hospital will have pillows for you but they won’t be YOUR pillows. I am a picky sleeper and need several pillows to get comfortable at night. Don’t forget to take a few extra that you’re used to sleeping on. After the baby’s born, you will need to try to get as much good sleep as possible.
10. Go home outfit for mom – Nursing tank – This is my personal choice. I have never really liked nursing bras. The nursing tanks are so much more comfortable and easy for me when nursing. And of course some comfy Yoga pants to go with it.
Those are my top 10. Do you have your own MUST HAVE’S that I didn’t mention? If so, please share!
Be sure to also check out my list of the best baby products.