This is part of a sponsored collaboration with DiMe Media and Dreft. All opinions are 100% mine.
Spring is here and with the warmer weather it means we are spending more time outside these days. Dreft, the No. 1 baby laundry detergent choice of pediatricians, has partnered with Dr. Dyan Hes, mom and medical director of Gramercy Pediatrics, to share tips to help moms keep baby comfortable during the spring season when allergens in the air and rising temperatures can trigger skin irritations for little ones.
My oldest and youngest both have eczema, so we are very careful with what touches their skin. And now that it’s getting warmer I can tell the flare ups are starting to happen, so anything we can do to help minimize them is great.
Here are some tips from Dr. He on how to minimize skin irritations for your little ones.
- Shade the sun: The long awaited spring season means increased outdoor time for parents and their babies. When heading outside, don’t forget to practice appropriate baby skin safety.
- For babies 6 months or older. If your baby is 6 months or older, liberally use sunscreen. Also, avoid exposing your baby to the sun during peak hours — generally 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. — and dress your baby in protective clothing, a hat with a brim and sunglasses.
- For babies younger than 6 months. If your baby is younger than 6 months, keep him or her out of direct sunlight. Protect your baby from sun exposure by dressing him or her in protective clothing, a hat with a brim and sunglasses.
2. Make bath-time beneficial: Over exposure to water can actually rob skin of natural moisture. Scaling back on tub time will help avoid resulting itch — about 10 minutes is plenty of time for water play and a quick scrub. Use warm water (vs. hot) and leave the suds to the very end. Use a mild cleanser to keep skin soft and itch-free. Gently pat skin dry and end with an after-bath moisturizer to seal in moisture and protect baby’s soft skin.
3. Load up on liquids: Staying hydrated during the spring months is important as baby gets more active outdoor time and sun exposure. Start with the inside and ensure children get enough to drink throughout the day. Infants should nurse or take a bottle often; older kids should tote a sippy cup or reusable water bottle. Include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and smoothies in your child’s diet too.
4. Choose the right fabrics and care for them properly: When it comes to fabrics, it’s extremely important to seek out gentle and hypoallergenic items to care for the items that touch baby’s sensitive skin. It’s also essential that fabrics be cared for properly. Wash baby’s items with a specially-formulated product such as Dreft, the #1 baby laundry detergent choice of pediatricians to be gentle and hypoallergenic on baby’s skin. Trusted for over 80 years, Dreft comes with a babyhood scent beloved by moms, and it remains safe and hypoallergenic for baby.
5. Protect Problem Skin: Heat is a common trigger for eczema and as the weather warms up, there are a few things you can do to help prevent flare ups of such skin irritations. The sun is strongest between the hours of 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. so try to shield baby from direct sun exposure during those times. There are also apps available that can inform you of the hottest part of the day – which can be helpful for parents as they plan any outings with their little ones!
Did you know that Dreft has introduced a line of laundry products that are specially designed for different stages of babyhood? As babies grow their needs change, so there is a Stage 1 for a newborn and a Stage 2 for a more active baby. Both are gentle and hypoallergenic on baby’s sensitive skin, tough on stains and have a baby fresh scent. The baby scent is a powerful driver of emotion – just a simple whiff of freshly-laundered clothes with baby detergent can bring back memories of the entire amazing babyhood journey.
Join us for a Dreft Twitter Party and a chance to win fabulous prizes on Thursday, May 12th from 9-10pm ET! To RSVP, visit www.dimemedia.net #DreftSpring
GIVEAWAY: Dreft Product: Newborn, Active Baby and Blissfuls and a $50 AMEX Gift Card