So your baby’s pacifier falls on the ground, what do you do? Throw it away? Run to a sink? R used a paci for about a month when she was a newborn, and if I saw it hit the ground, it went straight into a boiling pot of water before she was able to use it again. But a study done by Researchers at Sahlgrenska Academy of Göteborg University in Sweden has suggested, I should have put that paci in my mouth to clean it!
The study followed several babies for a few years and tested them for common allergies and turns out, babies whose parents who used their own saliva to clean the pacifier had less allergies like asthma and eczema. The study indicates, because their parents exposed them to bacteria early on, their immune systems were stimulated and learned the difference between good bacteria and bad bacteria. According to the study, if an immune system has something to fight – mom’s germs, the immune system did not fight other allergens, which can cause reactions like asthma and eczema.
Have you ever sucked on your baby’s pacifier? If not, would you after reading this article?