The 3rd Annual National Learn to Swim Day is this Saturday, May 17!
Did you know that National Learn to Swim Day is held annually to increase awareness about the importance of learning to swim? I think this is a GREAT idea. I hate to admit that I never learned how to swim at a young age. I never really learned to get comfortable in the water, or anything about pool safety. I don’t even know why, my parents just weren’t swimmers and so we didn’t go around water muchBut I really wish that I had learned how to swim. Marrying into a family full of lifeguards and child swim instructors has only stressed the importance of getting the girls in the water at a young age.
With spring in full effect and Memorial Day weekend around the corner, everyone is beginning to gear up for summer fun and that usually means water for some families. SwimWays’ has a dedicated website www.TeachMetoSwim.com that provides great tools and resources to help support parents in teaching their children to swim, including swim tips, accomplishment certificates and more.
Here are some tips to help when teaching your child how to swim.
· Get your child comfortable in the water at an early age.
· Introduce your child to the water using a baby float designed to help children feel comfortable and build water confidence, like the SwimWays Baby Spring Float.
· Once your child is ready to learn to swim, use a graduated flotation device, such as SwimWays’ Swim Steps Power Swimr.
· While you may feel your little one has the skills to swim unassisted, remember it takes a lot of courage to traverse the water without help.
· It’s often beneficial for a child to ease into swimming with a little extra support, like a kickboard, before taking their first solo strokes.
· National Learn to Swim Day is an opportunity for families to learn about the importance and benefits of learning to swim before Memorial Day Weekend and the start of summer.
· Never leave your child unattended in or near the water. Teach children to understand that they must always ask for permission before they go near the water.
National Learn to Swim Day Coloring Contest – As a part of the National Learn to Swim Day celebration, SwimWays is hosting a coloring contest. Kids can create their own artistic masterpiece by simply downloading a coloring sheet from TeachMetoSwim.com for the chance to win a pool prize pack, which includes a Swim Steps item, pool toy and Spring Float! Three winners will be selected, and the contest runs through May 31st. We hope you’ll share this fun contest with your readers to give them the chance to win prizes that will help teach their children how to swim this summer.
15% Off Coupon
Just in time for summer fun, SwimWays is offering a 15% off digital coupon on items in the Swim Training category on SwimWays.com. Enter coupon code SWIMSTEPS at check out to receive your discount. Expires 6/30/14.